
I had not heard of meebo before this project, but appreciate any tool that brings together different types of chat clients in one area. I can see this being used in a library setting being used because if we were doing chat reference, we would expect many different types of chat clients being used by our patrons. Forcing patrons to only use one type of chat just doesn't seem right. I signed up for an account and started chatting with a friend in South America on AOL and another friend who was using yahoo chat. Nice.
I have heard of twitter before, but hadn't really used it much. I do have some friends who use twitter, so I signed up and started following them. I guess I could see some library uses for this, including indicating times when we are not busy, or as a reminder for people about programs, or if we get a bunch of new books in. But I think at this time, it would reach only a small audience. It seems that more of my friends use facebook, but I do like that you can send your tweets to facebook and have it automatically update. That way you aren't having to update different applications. Thinking about these 2.0 applications and having the NBA player get in trouble this week for tweeting during halftime is interesting. When is it ok to check in with 2.0? When isn't it? Does ubiquitous computing interfere with life or enhance it? The one thing I like about twitter is that you can follow news items, and other public figures without them having to add you.
No comments:
Post a Comment