Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nombre Deux: We are the Web

Why am I doing the 23 things? I have done most, if not all of the 23 thigns on the list already. But I am a librarian, so I also know the value of continually trying to learn new things. I also have done the 23 things previously in a personal context. I am constantly using web 2.0 technologies to communicate with my friends, join social networks, contribute content to the web, communicate, share and connect. But what I haven't done is use these technologies really as a major part of my job, or on a greater scale of librarianship.

One thing I thought was interesting from the Blyberg article is he talks about a personnel shift in libraries from librarians to coders. But my question is why can't these people be the same thing? And I am not just talking about basic web design either. Most recent graduates of library schools have the skills to take some of these web2.0 technologies and adapt them to library services, and think about them from not only a technology perspective, but also keep in mind the principles of a library.

And I like the idea that not only do W2/L2 have the possibility to connect easily with other libraries, but also with the community. MCPL is a library that prides itself on community connections, with surveys, focus groups and such. Using W2 technologies seems like a natural step in continuing this connection in another type of space. I think of teens in this aspect, but I don't think it has to be limited to any age group.


I look forward to thinking about how to make this work for our patrons and staff and not only to do it as an exercise in technology for technology's sake.

1 comment: